Big D Half – Almost a PR!

I recently signed up for the Mellew Four Seasons Half Marathon Challenge ( ), which challenges runners to run one half marathon in all four seasons. The Big D Half was my first race of the Challenge! Several members of the Waxahachie Running Club (WRC) also signed up for the Challenge and were running the Big D as their first race while others were finishing the challenge with Big D. WRC also had one member run the Big D full marathon- her first marathon – Go Kaylee! We had a good turnout – about 17 members present.  Awesome group! Great Support!

Big D started out a very hot and humid race. Storms and a cool front were expected to come in while running the race……. but I had my doubts. For a second, I thought the storms had cleared and I was going to be facing yet another challenging race. However, around mile 6 or 7, the clouds and cool air rolled in and rain started falling. What a difference the weather made! The weather was great! Rain was not pouring yet just an off and on drizzle / light rain and the cool breeze was perfect. I could run all spring and summer in weather like this!

It was such an enjoyable race. I felt great the entire race. I am not sure whether it was due to the weather change  or what. But, out of all 3 races, this was by far the easiest. By mile 10, my legs felt good instead of feeling like they were gonna fall. LOL.

Changes made this race:    –  new orthotic inserts for my shoes,     – started the race at a slower, more steady pace     – stopped at only a few water stops instead of all of them      – picked out one runner who ran my pace and stayed up with her; never fell behind     – ran without music or any electronic devise; concentrated on the run (would’ve ran with music but didn’t want to chance ruining my phone in the rain)

All the above could have helped or I just got lucky and had a good race. What I’ve learned from other experienced runners is that not all of the races will go well…. some races will be great and others might be terrible. It just depends. I am hoping that as I  become a more experienced runner, I will become used to being on my feet and my time will only get better. If not, oh well.  I am very pleased with my progress.  I ended up running the Big D in 2 hrs 17 min 55 seconds – Almost a PR! My time at Cowtown was 2 hrs 17min 05 seconds. So Close – Maybe next time.

After crossing the finish line, I headed inside to refuel and get dry and  meet up with the running group to chat about the race and congratulate everyon on their achievements!

My proudest moment after the race –  Being able to walk normally to the car.  For the first time, my legs weren’t sore and I was not walking funny! I was actually able to go home and chase my kids around the house. I even started planning a few short runs over the next few days. Improvement!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s